Saturday, March 14, 2015

This is Going to Be a Yearly Tradition (for Thanksgiving or for Pi Day!)

 

Look at how serendipitous this is! I am posting a pie recipe on Pi Day! It totally wasn't planned...but I'm going to go with it and say that it was totally planned. Happy Pi Day!

Anyway, since my son is allergic to tree nuts, we can't have pecan pie at Thanksgiving. However, I discovered this pie recipe in 2013 and we made it again for Thanksgiving in 2014. This is definitely going to be a yearly tradition for Thanksgiving for my family. I previously posted the recipe here, but I am sharing it again with a few of my changes.



Pretzel Pie

Ingredients:

Filling:

4 eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 regular frozen pie shells (not deep dish), unbaked

Topping:

1 1/2 cups crushed pretzels
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

For Filling:

Place first five ingredients in large mixing bowl and mix with wire whisk until well combined. Pour into pie shells, dividing evenly between the two.

Combine all topping ingredients in medium bowl and stir well with a spoon to coat pretzels.

Sprinkle topping evenly, dividing it between the two pies.

Bake in 350 degree F. oven for 1 hour, covering with foil after 30 minutes to prevent over browning.

Allow to cool completely before serving. Can be made a day or two ahead of time and stored in refrigerator.

Source: Slightly adapted from Christy Jordan's Southern Plate. You can find the recipe here.

Notes: Wow, the woman who created this recipe is a genius! The pretzels were such a good stand-in for the pecans. My husband said this is probably his new favorite pie. Fantastic stuff!

I changed it to use regular pie crusts instead of a deep dish one this year simply because I accidentally bought a regular pie crust instead of deep dish. For me, this turned out to be a serendipitous accident. I had thought the year before that I might decrease the amount of pretzels I used for the topping because I felt that it was just a bit too much for us...too pretzel heavy and hard to cut into. However, when I made it into two pies, I just divided the pretzel topping between the two of them and I felt like it worked out perfectly for my tastes. We all loved it and got our pecan pie fix--without the pecans (and thus, without any allergic reactions)! That is a win in my book.


 
 

Above: This is one fantastic pie!

1 comment:

  1. Plus it's got to save calories, right? Pretzels can't be nearly as high in calories or fat as pecans. Ah, pecans. I do miss them.

    ReplyDelete