Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Just Like Mom Used to Make


Well, as with many recipes (since my mom makes so many of them), my mom has lost this recipe that I was fond of during my teenager years. I am going to do my best to recreate it here.

Cube Steaks with Creamy Onions

Ingredients:

3 medium sweet onions
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup baking mix (such as Bisquick) or flour
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
Cooking spray
1 pound beef cube steaks (4 cube steaks)

1 (8 oz) container of sour cream (full-fat, reduced-fat, or fat-free work fine)
Worcestershire sauce, to taste

Directions:

Creamy Onion Sauce:

Cut onions in half and then slice lengthwise. Melt butter in large pan over medium-high heat and add onions. Saute until lightly browned and softened. Reduce heat to medium and add sour cream and Worcestershire sauce, to taste.

Cube Steaks:

Mix baking mix or flour with black pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Heat large pan over medium-high heat. Dredge cube steaks in baking mix/flour mixture. Spray pan with cooking spray and place cube steaks in pan. Pan-fry the cube steaks until golden brown on each side.

Serve cube steaks topped with creamy onion sauce.

Source: I pretty much came up with this one from memory since my mom didn't have the recipe anymore. I had helped her make it enough times while I was in junior high and high school that I remembered enough about it to recreate it.

Notes: I could just eat these onions plain. They are so good. Be careful not to overheat them because you want to retain the creaminess of the sour cream. If they are cooked over too high of heat after you add the sour cream, it will lose the creamy texture.

This is definitely comfort food...kind of diner-style food, but good nonetheless.

1 comment:

  1. You do have a great memory. Dad loved these, but as I recall, most of the other kids didn't. Is it hard to find cube steaks?

    ReplyDelete