Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Super Easy Freezer Meal

 

In my search for easy freezer meals (that can be taken to neighbors in need or used for my own family in a pinch), I came across this meal. It is so easy to throw together! I am going to type the recipe as originally written and then discuss my changes in the notes.


Swiss Cheese Chicken

Ingredients:

4 chicken breasts (or enough to fill a 9x13 pan)
6 slices Swiss cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup milk
Stove Top Turkey or Chicken Stuffing
1/4 cup butter, melted

Directions:

Cover bottom of pan with chicken.

Lay the Swiss cheese over the chicken.

Mix cream of chicken soup and milk together until creamy. Spread mixture over chicken.

Top with 1/2 bag (or more) of stuffing. Drizzle with melted butter.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-60 minutes, or until chicken is done.

Serve over cooked white rice, if desired.

Freezer directions:

To freeze, cover bottom of pan with chicken and top with Swiss cheese and cream of chicken mixture. Freeze. When needed, thaw in fridge overnight and then top with stuffing and melted butter and bake as directed.

Source: I found this on Pinterest. It is on a site called Or So She Says and you can find it here. Great pictures there, by the way. I also found it on this site as well. No pictures on the second site, but the recipe is listed in a much easier to read manner.

Notes: I did not serve my chicken over rice. I figured that with the stuffing on top, I had my carbs and grains covered and I didn't need to add more to it. This is down home comfort food and it is just so easy to make. The only thing I don't like about it when it comes to being a freezer meal is that you can't just simply pop it in the oven as is. You have to thaw it and then do a little more prep before it is ready for the oven. In that case, something like a baked pasta or enchiladas wins because you can just pop those in the oven. However, you can't beat this ease and speed of preparation, that is for sure.


Above: I added the whole box of stuffing. Hey, if I am going to skip the rice, you had better bet I am going to use all the stuffing! Besides, I love stuffing! Since I used all the stuffing, I would increase the melted butter next time to 1/2 cup (or one stick). Yeah, not the healthiest way to go, but there you have it. :)




1 comment:

  1. This is similar to Niel's favorite crock pot dinner. I think we posted it before. He loves it. I would think the crockpot would make the chicken a little more tender.

    ReplyDelete