Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Pioneer Style


An activity I did with my kids recently was to make homemade butter. It is really easy to do...it just takes a little muscle and some energy. Try it!


Homemade Butter

Ingredients:

1 pint heavy cream

Directions:

Fill airtight containers approximately half full with heavy cream. Securely cover containers and shake until thickened and the butter separates from the buttermilk.

Drain off buttermilk. Serve immediately, or put into butter molds or any fun shaped molds and put into the refrigerator to set up. Remove from mold and let soften at room temperature when ready to serve.




Source: This is a recipe I have made since I was a child, but I found a version online at Allrecipes.com, submitted by DD123. You can find it here. If you don't have the energy to shake your butter, you can use a food processor. I will include that recipe below.

Notes: The most recent time I made this (when I took pictures), I made only a very small amount. I wanted to show my boys how to make homemade butter...but I didn't really need a whole pint's worth of homemade butter. So, I used a small jar and only used about 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream. I like to use mason jars with tight fitting lids to make butter. I find that it goes a little faster (and it is a little easier) if you fill the jar a little less than half full (with a small jar, I would suggest 1/3 full).

You can also add salt, if you like (as done in the recipe below).

Homemade Butter (Using a Food Processor)

Ingredients:

2 cups heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Pour cream into a food processor or blender. Process for 10 minutes, or until the butter separates. Strain off the liquid. Season to taste with salt if you like. Press butter into a small bowl with the back of a spoon to further remove liquid.

Source: Allrecipes.com, submitted by Brian Perspect. You can find it here.

1 comment:

  1. I remember doing that with you. You guys really liked to do it.

    ReplyDelete