Saturday, March 7, 2015

I Love These!



I found this recipe and thought, "That will be nice to try. It sounds good." However, unbeknownst to me, I was about to try one of the best slow cooker recipes EVER! The tzatziki is one of the best I have ever had. The chicken is so flavorful. I tried first with my own pitas (using thawed Rhodes Dough rolls--see the notes for more info) and second, in wrap form with regular flour tortillas. It is fantastic both ways.

Hmmm...I may have to make this again sometime soon.


Slow-Cooker Chicken Gyro Bowls

Ingredients:

Chicken:

2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast (or use skinless thighs)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Juice of 1/2 medium lemon
1/3 cup water

Tzatziki:

16 oz plain Greek yogurt
1/2 English (hothouse) cucumber or 1 regular cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced small
2 to 3 cloves garlic, grated or finely minced
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
Salt and pepper, to taste
Juice of 1/2 medium lemon
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

Tortillas and Toppings:

8 to 12 Old El Paso Stand 'N Stuff soft flour tortillas, heated as directed on package (see notes)
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced
1 cup crumbled feta cheese (4 oz)

Directions:

Spray 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add all Chicken ingredients to slow cooker; stir. Cover; cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hours or on high heat setting 4 to 6 hours.

Meanwhile, make Tzatziki. In medium bowl, stir together all Tzatziki ingredients except oil. Drizzle 1 tablesspon oil over top. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to meld.

Remove cooked chicken from slow cooker, and shred with 2 forks. Divide chicken among tortillas. Top each with Tzatziki, red onion, grape tomatoes, and feta cheese.

Recipe notes: Full fat Greek yogurt works best for this, but 2% works as well. You want the yogurt to be thick, so if your Greek yogurt seems thin, strain it through a fine mesh strainer.

Source: Betty Crocker website. You can find it here.

Notes: As I said before sharing the recipe, I served this originally with homemade pitas made from thawed Rhodes Dough. Simply thaw desired amount of dough and let it rise. Break off tennis ball sized pieces of dough and stretch to form a circle. Place in heated (medium to medium-high heat) pan and lightly brown both sides (only about 30-45 seconds per side). Top with chicken and toppings and fold over. My husband had them with the red onions, I didn't (that's why the pictures don't have red onions on them).

Once the pitas were gone, I still had leftover chicken, toppings, and tzatziki so I started making wraps with regular flour tortillas (not the bowls). They tasted great too.

This was seriously so good. My mouth was watering as I typed this up. I had the leftovers for lunch for a few days after I made this and it was to die for.

1 comment: