Wednesday, August 10, 2016

A New Take on Tacos

This was a fun way to change up taco night. These were quite tasty and really hit the spot.

 

 

Greek Tacos

Ingredients:

1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 teaspoons Greek seasoning
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/ teaspoon pepper
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
Lemon juice, to taste
1 package (4-1/2 ounces) taco shells
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup thinly sliced onion, soaked in lemon juice

Directions:

In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, Greek seasoning, garlic, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 8-10 minutes or until thickened. Add spinach and olives; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until spinach is wilted.

Meanwhile, place taco shells on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 300 degrees F. for 3-5 minutes or until heated through. Spoon about 1/4 cup beef mixture into each shell. Top with feta cheese and onion.

Yield: 12 servings.

Source: Taste of Home. You can find it here.

Notes: The only thing I didn't love about these is that while the leftover tacos were great, the wilted spinach wasn't the best part when they were reheated. I might try these in the future with fresh spinach or without spinach at all if we can't eat it all in one night. Even so, these were delicious. I'm just being nitpicky about the spinach.

Also, I couldn't find Greek seasoning at my grocery store, so I found a recipe online and made my own. I seasoned my tacos with the Greek seasoning to taste and I used more than just 2 teaspoons.

Greek Seasoning

Ingredients:

1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
1/2 tsp. dried minced onion (or you can use onion powder, like I did)
1/4 tsp. dried minced garlic
1 tsp. dried mint

Directions:

Mix all spices together. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.

Source: Allrecipes.com, submitted by Margaret Havenar. You can find it here.

Notes: I just love that you can find a recipe for everything online! When I couldn't find Greek seasoning, I thought, "What am I going to do?" Then I thought, "Well, of course! The internet!"



1 comment: