Thursday, December 10, 2015

One of the Best Soups Ever

 

This is an old favorite. Every time I have it, I think to myself, "This is soooo good! Why don't I have it more often?" We originally posted it here, but it just needed to be posted again.

 

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients:

2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp. fresh, chopped garlic
2 tbsp. butter or olive oil
2 cans chicken broth
1 small can tomato sauce
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
1 pkg. frozen corn
1 small bunch fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions:

Saute chicken breasts in butter until done. Add onion and garlic and saute a bit longer. Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, taco seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Simmer for 1 hour. Add cilantro and corn and cook a bit longer (just until corn is warmed). Serve with toppings of choice.

Suggested toppings:

Shredded cheddar and/or Monterey Jack cheese
Tortilla chips or baked corn tortilla strips (see notes below)
Sour cream
Additional cilantro
Cubed avocado

Source: I got this from my Mom, but I'm not sure where she got it from. I believe it was from a church activity.

Notes: I usually double this because it makes great leftovers. Tortilla chips are nice because they taste great and they are very easy. However, I think with this particular tortilla soup, I like the taste of baked corn tortilla strips. To do this, use kitchen shears to cut corn tortillas into strips. Toss tortilla strips in a plastic zip top bag with enough vegetable oil to lightly coat the tortilla strips. Or, you can spray the tortilla strips with cooking spray for a lighter version. Then, place tortilla strips on a foil lined baking sheet in a single layer. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10-20 minutes, until lightly browned and crispy.

Also, I like to use kitchen shears to roughly chop the stewed tomatoes (I usually chop them with the shears right in the can before pouring them into the soup). I chop the tomato slices into quarters. Otherwise, you get some really large tomato pieces in your soup. But if you like your soup really chunky, keep the tomatoes whole.

1 comment:

  1. Emily got this recipe from home ec in high school, so that's a ways back....or whatever those classes were called in the 90's. She, of course, never puts onions in.

    ReplyDelete