Friday, December 11, 2015

They Won't Turn This Down

 

My boys can be picky eaters, but (so far) this is one of those dinners that they eat every time I make it. In fact, the first time I made it, I didn't think they would even try it...and the whole thing got gobbled up and they asked for more...so I made it again about a week later. I always double this recipe now! I am going to share the recipe with my changes and a link to the original recipe. I increase the bacon and double most of the rest of the ingredients.


Baked Tortellini with Bacon

Ingredients:

1 pkg. sliced bacon (12 or 16 oz pkg., depending on how much bacon you want)
1 medium yellow or white onion, diced medium or 2 tbsp. dried minced onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
Coarse salt and ground pepper, to taste
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
4 cups whole milk
2 (19 oz) packages frozen cheese tortellini
1 cup grated Parmesan

Directions:

Cook tortellini according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

Cook bacon. (I like to cook my bacon in the oven at about 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, or until crispy. Or you can slice the bacon beforehand and cook over medium heat in a pan on the stove top until brown and crisp, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.) Drain bacon on paper towels, reserving bacon fat.

Saute onion and garlic in 2-3 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat in a pan over medium heat and season generously with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, about 8 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.

Slowly add milk, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil over medium-high, stirring occasionally. Reduce to a simmer; cook, stirring often, until liquid has thickened, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in tortellini, half the bacon, and 1/2 cup Parmesan. Transfer to a broiler-proof baking dish and top with remaining bacon followed by 1/2 cup Parmesan. Broil until cheese is melted and top is lightly browned, 1-3 minutes.

Source: Martha Stewart. You can find it here.

Notes: As mentioned before, I made some changes. I increased the bacon because my boys love it. Four strips of bacon in the original recipe was not nearly enough. The first time I made this, I used dried minced onion because I had just used my last fresh onion the day before. The dried minced onion gives it such a punch of flavor. I wouldn't use more than 2 tbsp. though because that stuff is really potent! A little goes a long way. I have made this with fresh diced onion too...and I almost preferred the dried minced onion. The dried minced onion makes this dish so flavorful. It works great both ways, but the dried minced onion is just so easy. However, what I like best is a combination of one fresh diced onion and a sprinkle, to taste, of the dried minced onion. I simply doubled everything else.


Above: Here's the first batch I made. Delicious, but not enough! 


Above: Here's a nice doubled big batch of tortellini. Enough for my boys to have all they want and still have leftovers the next day.

1 comment: