Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tortilla Soup


When soup weather comes around, you have to make tortilla soup at least once. If it turns to spring and you haven't made a tortilla soup to keep you warm during the winter, you've blown it.

Because of the tortillas stirred into the soup, it makes for a stand alone meal. I really don't think there's any need for side dishes with soup like this. Yum!

The first tortilla soup is an old favorite. It is so good. Don't skimp on the toppings either. The toppings make this soup so flavorful and hearty. The second tortilla soup is one I tried for the first time just last week. I actually made it because I was missing a few ingredients for the first tortilla soup recipe. The second tortilla soup recipe is a great pantry recipe because nearly all of the ingredients are canned or frozen--so you can have them on hand at any time.

It is such a simple recipe that I worried that it might not be flavorful enough. I toyed with the idea of adding additional ingredients, but I decided that I would make the soup as is first and then see if anything else was needed. It was so good as written! I mean, if you wanted to add protein, you could easily add chopped chicken or ground beef, but I don't think it's necessary. I really liked the fact that it was such a light and easy soup.

Also, on the website, it said that it would only take 15 minutes to make. I'm often wary of estimated prep and cooking times because it tends to take me a lot longer to make a recipe than the recipe tells me it will. But I swear, this soup only takes 15 minutes to make. It was sooooo easy! So, if you're short on time, don't have a dinner plan...but do have a well-stocked pantry, this soup is for you.


Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients:

2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp. fresh, chopped garlic
2 tbsp. butter or olive oil
2 cans chicken broth
1 small can tomato sauce
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
1 pkg. frozen corn
1 small bunch fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions:

Saute chicken breasts in butter until done. Add onion and garlic and saute a bit longer. Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, taco seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Simmer for 1 hour. Add cilantro and corn and cook a bit longer (just until corn is warmed). Serve with toppings of choice.

Suggested toppings:

Shredded cheddar and/or Monterey Jack cheese
Tortilla chips or baked corn tortilla strips (see notes below)
Sour cream
Additional cilantro
Cubed avocado

Source: I got this from my Mom, but I have no idea where she got it from.

Notes: I usually double this because it makes great leftovers. Tortilla chips are nice because they taste great and they are very easy. However, I think with this particular tortilla soup, I like the taste of baked corn tortilla strips. To do this, use kitchen shears to cut corn tortillas into strips (if you don't have kitchen shears, use a knife to cut the tortillas into strips--but you really should have kitchen shears. They make things so much easier in the kitchen!). Then, place tortilla strips on a foil lined baking sheet and spray strips with cooking spray. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10-20 minutes (or until the tortilla strips have reached your desired degree of crispiness). For me, personally, the crispier, the better. Also, I like to use kitchen shears to roughly chop the stewed tomatoes (I usually chop them with the shears right in the can before pouring them into the soup). I chop the tomato slices into quarters. Otherwise, you get some really large tomato pieces in your soup. But if you like your soup really chunky, keep the tomatoes whole.


Above: 2013 update: we had this with our pie night after Thanksgiving. This soup is sooooo good!



Tortilla Soup with Black Beans

Serves 4

Ingredients:

1 tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice
2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 cup crushed tortilla chips, plus more for serving (optional)
1 tbsp fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving

Directions:

In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Cook garlic and chili powder until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes (with juice), beans, broth, corn, and 1 cup water; season with salt and pepper.

Bring soup to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Add tortilla chips; cook until softened; about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice, and season with salt and pepper. Serve soup with lime wedges and, if desired, more chips.

Source: Martha Stewart website. Everyday Food recipe.

Notes: I only made two changes. After testing the broth, I decided to add more lime juice. The lime juice is really the standout ingredient that kicks up the flavor of this soup, in my opinion. Also, I only added tortilla chips as a topping. I didn't add it to the soup and allow it to soften. As I've mentioned before, I cook for my in-laws. They all eat at really random times. I knew that if I added tortilla chips to the broth that they would be too soggy by the time my in-laws got around to eating it. Besides, when you add the tortilla chips as a topping, it doesn't take long for the tortilla chips to soak up the broth.

4 comments:

  1. Actually the first recipe came from one of Emily's high school classes. She loved it. She used to crave that packaged tortilla soup that they used to sell at Great Harvest. It was by a company called "Turtle Island Soup." But I don't think it's available any more. So she found this one on her own and has loved it ever since. It's a real fav!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have to say, over time I have subscribed to about 15-a-wk.recipe emails, and as I have gone thru them, week after week, I finally decided I saw nothing in them. I have unsubscribed them all, I am only keeping you, I can't wait each time I get your email. I thank you for springing some life into my cooking and recipes, and my hubby loves them as much as I do :)
    Thank you so so so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you SO much! Your comment made my day!

    Honestly, until just a few weeks ago, I had no idea that anyone other than my immediate family was checking this blog because no one else was leaving any comments. Then, we got a follower I didn't recognize and a comment from someone else I didn't know. Then, of course, I discovered the stats section on blogger and was able to see how many people have actually been checking our blog out.

    I am so glad that you enjoy our blog so much. I can't tell you what a wonderful compliment it is that you have unsubscribed from other recipe emails, but have decided to keep ours.

    Your message was so kind and I hope that we continue to find and share recipes that you and your husband can enjoy as much as our family has!

    Thank you again for your sweet message!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No need to add my pics. Yours were far more artsy haha. This really is one of my favorite recipes. It is delicious!

    ReplyDelete