Sunday, December 1, 2013

Repeat!


Okay, this is one that I have posted before, but now that my younger son grew out of his egg allergy, we were able to make this for dinner again! Yay! Good stuff. You can find the original post that I included this recipe in here.


Spaghetti Carbonara

Serves 4
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

1 pound spaghetti
8 ounces bacon (8 slices), cut 1 inch thick crosswise
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
3 large eggs
¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
½ cup half-and-half

Directions:

Set a large pot of water to boil (for pasta). In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 8 to 12 minutes; transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.

Salt boiling water generously; add pasta and cook until al dente, according to package instructions.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together eggs, Parmesan, and half-and-half. Set aside.

Drain pasta, leaving some water clinging to it. Working quickly, add hot pasta to egg mixture. Add bacon; season with salt and pepper, and toss all to combine (heat from pasta will cook eggs). Serve immediately, sprinkled with additional Parmesan cheese.

Recipe notes: A carbonara sauce is typically made with bacon, eggs, and cheese. We've added a little half-and-half for a silky texture.


Per serving: 397 calories; 7.8 grams fat; 18.9 grams protein; 64.9 grams carbohydrates; 11.1 grams fiber

My Notes: I usually lighten this pasta up a little bit. I often use egg substitute, and fat free half and half or milk (2%, 1%, and Skim all work just fine!). Also, I think that the serving size listed here is massive. Unless you are ONLY having pasta for dinner, you should rarely eat a 1/4 pound of it! (Though it would totally be easy to eat that much at one sitting because it's so yummy)

Source: Martha Stewart Everyday Food (I first saw this recipe on the PBS Everyday Food cooking show). You can find it here.


Above: Great with a lot of bacon...


 Above: Or great with slightly less bacon!

3 comments:

  1. I'm hungry this morning and this looks good. I remember you making it one year for my birthday. It's nummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this for dinner tonight. Cheap. Easy. Tasty! And for the first time I can remember Thomas ate all his dinner, complimented me and asked for more. His portion didn't have bacon, but the fact it had sauce and cheese was a major breakthrough! Now I don't expect a repeat, but hey! Progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite meals. It just tastes so good. My boys love the bacon and the noodles. So, I can't argue with that! I'm glad you liked it, Laurie.

    ReplyDelete