Saturday, December 28, 2013

A Different Kind of Butter


Our allergy appointments for our boys went really well this year. Their allergies have improved quite a bit. My youngest son may be okay with peanuts, but we still need to do a food challenge test before we are completely cleared to bring peanut butter back into the mix. So, in the meantime, while my husband and older son have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, my younger son gets...cookie butter! He loves it, and that way, he can still feel included in the sandwich eating festivities.

Let me share this incredibly easy recipe with you.

Cookie Butter

Ingredients:

2 packages (8.8 ounces each) decorative caramelized biscuit cookies (aka Biscoff cookies)
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon molasses
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup water

Directions:

In large food processor, process cookies into fine crumbs. Turn off processor. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla; process until blended. Continue to process while adding molasses and oil through spout.

With processor running, add just enough water so mixture becomes a creamy consistency (you might not use all the water). Add more water as needed until you reach desired texture (it should be about the same as peanut butter).

Pour cookie butter into airtight container; seal. Store in refrigerator.

Recipe notes: For a different flavor, substitute 2 packages (18 sheets total) graham crackers for the cookies. You can also play with the spices by adding cloves, ginger, or allspice to the mix for a different taste. Use cookie butter as a dip for apples or pretzels, spread it on crackers, cookies, or toasted bread, or use it in your favorite baking recipes.

Source: Betty Crocker website. You can fine it here.

Notes: I love this stuff! It is really tasty. It is great on toast, as a sandwich with jelly, etc. I used graham crackers because I had them on hand. It worked great. I don't have a food processor, so I crushed the graham crackers on hand. In the future, I would use about two cups of graham cracker crumbs. However, I still plan to try this recipe with Biscoff cookies. I also noticed in the notes on the Betty Crocker website that many people have also used gingersnaps and had great results too.

I needed to use the full cup of water, and I found that the texture of the cookie butter was better (smoother) after sitting for a day.

 

1 comment: