Saturday, July 27, 2013

The "It" Recipe



Sometimes there is a new "it" ingredient...like chipotle, or quinoa. Sometimes there is a new "it" recipe. This is a new recipe that just came out and I swear everyone and their dog has been trying this recipe. So, I had to try it too.

I really liked it. It was really very easy. You should give it a try (but be sure to read my notes on the recipe because it took longer for me than stated in the original recipe).


One-Pan Pasta

Ingredients:

12 ounces spaghetti
12 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes halved or quartered if large
1 onion, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 sprigs basil, plus torn leaves for garnish
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
4 1/2 cups water
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving

Directions:

Combine pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic, red-pepper flakes, basil, oil, 2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and water in a large straight-sided skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil mixture, stirring and turning pasta frequently with tongs, until pasta is al dente and water has nearly evaporated, about 9 minutes. (see notes below)

Season to taste with salt and pepper, divide among 4 bowls, and garnish with basil. Serve with oil and Parmesan.

Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2013. You can find the recipe online here.


Notes: This was really good. A great, easy recipe to have in your repertoire.

I have some suggestions though. I was a little worried about cooking it for only 9 minutes. I was dubious that the pasta would be done in that amount of time. I mean, it usually takes my pasta water at least 10 minutes just to start boiling. My gut was right. It took 8 or 9 minutes for the water to start boiling. At that point, my pasta was pretty much still uncooked and the water was not evaporated. So, then I reset the timer for another 9 minutes to cook the pasta.

I mean, it still worked. It tasted awesome, and the pasta ended up al dente. However, I had to check the pasta to make sure it was done all the way and I ended up cooking the pasta for about 20 minutes total instead of the 9 minutes stated in the recipe.

Next time, I think I will try boiling the water first. While the water is boiling, I will prep all the ingredients. Once the water is boiling, I will then put the ingredients into the water and set the timer for 9 minutes (the amount of time needed to cook the spaghetti and for the water to evaporate.)

So, you can either put all the ingredients in the pot, and then add water...but be sure to watch the pasta carefully and test it so that it isn't underdone or overdone, because it won't take 9 minutes on the dot. Or, you can boil the water first and then add all the ingredients.

Maybe the stove tops in the Martha Stewart test kitchens burn hotter and boil water faster than mine does. :)

I used a whole pound (16 ounces) of pasta instead of 12 ounces. I also used 2 pints of grape tomatoes. I would also suggest being very generous with the salt and pepper (prior to boiling). When you serve the pasta, top it with additional salt and pepper, shredded Parmesan, and torn basil. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. When I made mine, I overcooked it. Never, never overcook the spaghetti.

    It is intriguing and it did make good leftover and it was easy.

    ReplyDelete