Sunday, January 30, 2011

Moroccan Chicken Tagine


My first year living away from home in college, mom gave me a bunch of old cookbooks of hers so that I could try my hand at cooking. This one I tried three years ago and it's been a favorite ever since that I continue to make regularly. It came from a book with all slow-cooker recipes, so it's super easy....but it's also super delicious! Here's the recipe:

Moroccan Chicken Tagine

Makes 4-6 Servings

Ingredients:

3 lbs chicken, cut up, skin removed (I usually just buy frozen chicken and put in as many pieces as I want..)
I'm not even gonna put the onions on here because I don't with mine :)
2 cups chicken broth
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup dried apricots, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 cilantro sprigs
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
1 can (15 ounces) chick-peas, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
cooked couscous or rice.


Directions:

Place chicken in slow cooker. Combine broth, tomatoes, apricots, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, coriander, cayenne and cilantro sprigs in medium bowl; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low 4 to 5 hours or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken from slow cooker; place on serving dish and cover to keep warm.

Combine cornstarch and water in a cup and stir until smooth. Stir into slow cooker. Stir in chick-peas. Cover and cook on High 15 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Pour sauce over chicken . Sprinkle with cilantro and almonds. serve with couscous or rice.

Tip: To toast almonds, heat small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add almonds and stir or toss constantly about 2 minutes until browned on both sides. Remove from pan at once.

3 comments:

  1. Why did I give you a good cookbook? :) This looks yummy and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on your second post, sweet sister, Emily! This recipe looks very flavorful.

    And mom, you have a minimum of 100 cookbooks now and you've given away tons. I wonder how many cookbooks you have owned throughout the course of your life?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought my first one when I was in high school. They had a store at Fashion Place Mall and I bought my own copy of the Italian Cookbook that my mom had. You know the one!

    BTW: We should do Dad's favorite spaghetti sauce.

    ReplyDelete