Sunday, January 23, 2011

Top of the Muffin to you!

You know, I really love muffins. Some people even call me love muffin. Well just my husband. Okay just kidding, he hasn't ever called me that. But the point is, muffins are very tasty! I have been making muffins fairly regularly while I have been pregnant. Bran Muffins, to up my fiber intake and sweet muffins to just hit that sweet tooth without pigging out on cake or donuts or something that is probably less healthy for you. Not that these muffins are necessarily healthy, but they do fill you up and that's better then a candy bar I say!

The fist muffin, pictured above is the tried and true Bran Muffin. Oh bran muffin, what would I do with out you?

I actually got this recipe off of the Bob's Red Mill Wheat Bran package.

1 cup Bob's Wheat Bran
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup raisins ( I omitted the raisins. Not a fan!)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup milk
1/2 cup molasses or honey (I used honey)
3/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup chopped nuts
2 T oil
2 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 400. Combine bran, flour, baking powder and soda. Stir in nuts and raisins. In a separate bowl, blend applesauce, milk, molasses or honey, oil and egg. Add to dry ingredients. Stir until just moistened. Spoon into greased muffin pan and bake 15-20 min.

Lemon Ricotta Muffins

I'm not exaggerating, these are the most delicious muffins I have ever tasted. I love them so much. I think that this might be one of my favorite recipes period. I just love the lemon/almond flavor and the ricotta makes a nice moist texture. You've got to try these. I got the recipe from Giada De Laurentis, from the Everyday Itailian show on the food network. I have to say, pretty much all of the recipes of hers that I have tried have been super yummy and easy. I need to buy her cookbook!

Nonna's Lemon Ricotta Biscuits

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar or more as needed for sprinkling
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
  • 1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/3 cup thinly sliced almonds

Directions

Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat 1 cup sugar, butter, and lemon zest in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the ricotta. Beat in the egg, lemon juice, and almond extract. Add the dry ingredients and stir just until blended (the batter will be thick and fluffy).
Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the almonds and then the remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar over the muffins. Bake until the muffins just become pale golden on top, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.


And last but not least, The Banana Crumb Muffin. These muffins are a great way to use up over ripe banana's. They are very yummy and the brown sugar topping makes it feel like eating dessert. I like to add a few tablespoons of Wheat Germ to boost the fiber. It doesn't change the texture or flavor much. I got this recipe from Allrecipes.com.

Banana Crumb Muffin

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 bananas, mashed
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon butter

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

4 comments:

  1. Hooray! I'm so glad you finally had the chance to post your muffin recipes (especially after hearing so much about them). I'll have to try the bran muffins especially (you know, since I'm pregnant and fiber is a very helpful thing for me these days!). Too much information? Lovely pictures, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and by the way, was that a hint to your husband to start calling you "love muffin?" I'm not sure how I feel about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yummmmmmmy. Looks like there's a muffin baking plan in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've really got to try the lemon ricotta ones, they are a perfect thing to bring to a brunch or social gathering. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete