Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Sneaking Things In

 


My son was allergic to almonds, but he grew out of that allergy. His allergist told me that I needed to make sure that he ate almonds to avoid having his almond allergy come back. The trouble with that is that  he has developed a distaste for almonds because he knows how his body reacts to certain nuts when things go wrong...so he avoids nuts and I couldn't get him to eat almonds because of it. This was a recipe I found to sneak some almonds into his diet. He still didn't like it...but his dad and I did! Ha ha! He had no idea there were nuts in it, and he ate some of it without any harmful effects, so I guess that's something to celebrate. I'm thinking I will have to hide almonds in his dessert from here on out.

I did change the recipe a little bit, so be sure to check out my notes to see what I changed.


Noodles with Roast Pork and Almond Sauce

Ingredients:

1/2 teaspoon canola oil
1/2 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
8 ounces uncooked fettuccine
1/4 cup almond butter
2 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
1 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh mint

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Drizzle oil in an ovenproof skillet. Sprinkle pork with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper; place pork in pan. Bake at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes. Turn pork over, and bake an additional 10 minutes or until a thermometer registers 155 degrees F. Place pork on a cutting board; let stand 10 minutes. Shred pork into small pieces.

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain pasta in a colander over a bowl, reserving 2 tablespoons pasta water; keep pasta warm.

Combine almond butter, 2 tablespoons pasta water, remaining salt, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, and chili garlic sauce. Divide pasta evenly among 4 bowls; top evenly with sauce, pork, onions, and mint.

Nutrition information: Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups), 398 calories, 12.7 g fat, 22.7 g protein, 49.3 g carbohydrate, 3.7 g fiber, 34 mg cholesterol, 3.7 mg iron, 763 mg sodium, 83 mg calcium.

Source: Cooking Light recipe found on MyRecipes. You can find it here.

Notes: I changed quite a bit of this recipe. I used a pork loin roast rather than pork tenderloin, because I had one in my freezer that I wanted to use. I cooked it in my slow cooker on low for about 8 hours and seasoned it with salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder. I also used 16 ounces (or a whole pound/package) of fettuccine. Because I increased the pasta, I doubled the sauce. I couldn't find my chili garlic sauce (because one of my sons had done some rearranging of my cupboard), so I got creative and used some spicy sesame oil that I had on hand. Rather than serving this dish as separate elements, I tossed the pasta and pork in the almond butter sauce to completely coat the pork and noodles. I topped each individual serving with mint and green onions (except I skipped that for my boys because they wouldn't have eaten that).

We really loved this. It was kind of like a sesame noodles or peanut noodles recipe, just made with almond butter instead. This is very flavorful and it was really easy to put together as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment