Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Slow Cooker Main Dish and a Quick Side


This was one of those dinners that I found to make the day of because it was one of those days that I didn't feel like cooking at all.


Herbed Slow Cooker Chicken

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
4 bone-in chicken breast halves (8 ounces each)
1/2 cup chicken broth or water

Directions:

In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; rub over chicken. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add broth. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.

Yield: 4 servings.

Nutrition information: 1 chicken breast half equals 211 calories, 7 g fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 392 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 33 g protein.

Source: Taste of Home. You can find it here.

Notes: I simply sprinkled the spices evenly over the chicken instead of combining them in a bowl and then rubbing them on the chicken. This reminded me of our favorite slow cooker sticky chicken, which you can find here.


Sauteed Cabbage

Half a head of cabbage, shredded
1 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Melt butter in a pan. Add cabbage. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Saute until tender.

Notes: I remember my mom sauteing cabbage when I was in high school. I had some cabbage that I needed to use up, and this was the way I did it. Voila!

2 comments:

  1. I think the sprinkling is a good idea. When I do rubs, all of it rubs right off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rubs are just more work and messier too. Sprinkling the spices evenly does the same job, in my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete