Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Crock Pot Sticky Chicken: how has this never been blogged about?


Every family has their go-to recipes. You know, the kind that whenever you can't think of something to make or don't want to look for new recipes you know you can fall back on. The kind of recipe that doesn't require much work, preparation, or ingredients. The kind of recipe you can never get sick of. And most importantly: the kind of recipe that is a crowd pleaser! Well, enter Crock Pot Sticky Chicken. I feel like this is a staple in all the Foodie Family households. I could be mistaken, but I didn't notice it on our blog! I was shocked! How could we have let this happen?

Let me tell you a few more things I like about this recipe. First of all, it's super cheap! You can buy a whole bird for around a dollar a pound. And if you have a well stocked pantry, that is basically all you need. So, if you buy a 6 pound bird, you serve about 6 people for only a dollar per person! Beat that! If you have a lot of mouths to feed you won't find a better deal. And if there are only two of you, like in my household, even better! It makes for great leftovers! You can eat the chicken plain or use it in many, many other recipes similar to how you would use a rotisserie chicken. Only this has a little kick to it, so it's even tastier. My personal favorite is to make chicken noodle soup. All you do is add broth, veggies and noodles and it is so so tasty. Maybe I'll blog about that come soup season. ( I can't wait!!!)

Anyway... without further ado...

Crock Pot Sticky Chicken

Ingredients:

4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 large roasting chicken

Directions:

In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all the spices. Remove the giblets from the chicken and clean the cavity well. Pat dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin.

Place the chicken into the slow cooker. Do not add any liquid. As the chicken cooks, it will produce its own juices. Cook on low 8-10 hours and it will be falling off the bone tender. You can brown the chicken in the oven, if desired. The drippings can be used to make gravy which can be served over mashed potatoes or rice.

Not sure of the source! Mom, do you know?

5 comments:

  1. Whoohoo! Thank you for blogging this. I have had it on my list to make and blog about for a long time now. Something just kept coming up that put it off.

    I never thought of using the leftover meat in chicken noodle soup. That WOULD be delicious! Good thinking, Laurie.

    Your picture looks great and your sweet potato or squash side dish (I can't tell which it is) looks delicious.

    I personally like to make mashed potatoes (instant or from scratch) and serve the gravy on top of it. To make a gravy, you use the drippings and mix it with chicken or turkey gravy mix. You simply use the broth in place of the water called for on the mix. So flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so long ago, I don't remember. My friend, Sharon, told me that she made this chicken with salt, pepper, and basil (doing it the same way). It's a good recipe and we had it once or twice. I saw the recipe with lots of spices and, being very adventurous had to make it. Don't remember where I saw it. But it is a great go to recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and yes, the picture looks great. Also, we have served the gravy over rice, too. Great food and very, very economical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to mention that I use this recipe when I need to take a meal to someone. It's a great choice because it's good for kids and picky eaters too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The other thing I like about this recipe is that it is nice enough to serve to guests! It kinda seems a little fancy, Like a mini thanksgiving. We had leftovers yesterday plain and today I shredded the remaining chicken and made burritos.

    Oh and the side dish was roasted sweet potatoes with green onion, cilantro, pecans and a maple lime vinegarette. Tasty! I roasted a few extra potatoes plain and puree d them for the baby boy! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete