Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Slow Cooker: Curry

 


I'm always a fan of slow cooker dinners because they make my evenings so much easier. However, I'm even more a fan of slow cooker dinners that are unique and don't taste like every other slow cooker meal you've ever had. Here is one of those recipes.


Chicken Curry

Ingredients:

3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
2 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
16 thin slices peeled fresh ginger (about 1ounce)
2 tablespoons curry powder, perferably Madras
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Coarse salt
2 packages frozen green peas (10 ounces each)
2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup toasted cashews (optional, for serving) (I skipped these because of my son's allergies)
1/4 cup cilantro leaves (optional, for serving)

Directions:

In a 5-quart slow cooker, toss chicken, onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder, coriander, and cumin to coat. Season with 2 teaspoons salt. Cover, cook on high setting until chicken is fork-tender, about 4 hours (do not uncover while cooking).

Stir in coconut milk and peas; cover, cook until peas are heated through, about 20 minutes.

Transfer chicken to a large bowl; shred with fork. Return to pot; toss with sauce.

To serve, garnish with 1/2 cup toasted cashews, if desired, and 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, if desired.

Source: Martha Stewart, Everyday Food, December 2004. You can find it here.

Notes: The only thing I added was a little sugar to taste (a couple of teaspoonfuls) because I like my curry a little on the sweet side. This was really tasty and so very easy. Good stuff!

2 comments:

  1. It really tasted pretty close to what you get at our favorite little Thai restaurant too. I would probably add another can of coconut milk in the future though, just because I like a lot of juice/broth. This was really good.

    ReplyDelete