Saturday, March 22, 2014

Better Than Store-Bought


 

One day, I was craving enchiladas kind of like the kind that you buy frozen at the grocery store (you know, the family size tray of enchiladas that have rice in them). So, I decided to do a search for enchiladas with rice in them, and I found this one.

This recipe totally satisfied my craving and then some. It makes a huge batch of enchiladas (two trays). So, it is a great recipe to feed a crowd, or if you want to freeze a tray for another day, or if you are in need of a dinner to make for your family and take to another family at the same time. This is what I did. I made some for us, and took some to others.

I really loved these. They were so easy. You can make them with either flour or corn tortillas. The choice is up to you. However, if you decide to use corn tortillas, I would suggest frying them in a little hot oil for about 10-15 seconds on each side. This keeps the tortillas from splitting or tearing as you roll them or as they cook. I also used more enchilada sauce (I doubled it) because I like my enchiladas saucy!


Green Sauce Enchiladas

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon butter
1 cup white rice
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
3 boneless chicken breast halves, poached and cubed (or shredded)
1 pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1 (11 ounce) can sweet corn, drained
1 teaspoon cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 (24 ounce) can green enchilada sauce (I used two 24 ounce cans--one can for each 9x13-inch pan)
24 (6 inch) corn tortillas or 12-16 flour tortillas
Sour cream, optional
Chopped fresh cilantro, optional

Directions:

In a large skillet, saute rice with butter or margarine. Add chicken broth and simmer over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until rice is cooked and tender. Let cool.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Combine chicken, 3/4 pound shredded cheese, corn, cooled rice, cumin, 1/4 cup sauce, and salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Mix together. Warm tortillas in the microwave for 2 minutes (or lightly fry each tortilla in hot oil). Spread another 1/4 cup sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Repeat with the second 9x13-inch baking dish.

Place a little of the chicken mixture on each tortilla and roll up. Place filled tortillas in the baking dishes (about 12 filled corn tortillas in each baking dish or about 6-8 flour tortillas in each baking dish). Sprinkle with 1/4 pound shredded cheese and top with any remaining sauce, pouring evenly over all. (Freeze remaining tortillas for future green sauce enchiladas!)

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.    

Serve with sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.

Source:  Allrecipes.com submitted by smooch. You can find it here

Notes: These were just awesome. I loved them. They were so flavorful. However, they were also mild. Very kid friendly. The cumin and salt and pepper were not in the original recipe. I added it for just a little extra flavor.

1 comment:

  1. These look so good. I never knew anyone had a craving for frozen enchiladas. :)

    ReplyDelete