Saturday, September 28, 2013

Individual Portions: Part 2



 



I'm always a fan of breakfast for dinner. These would make a great breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner, depending on your mood!

These were delicious. They definitely hit the spot. The only change I might make in the future is to add two pieces of bacon (crisscrossed in an X shape). There were also beyond easy. Try them out!


Bacon, Egg, and Toast Cups

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
8 slices white or whole-wheat sandwich bread
6 slices bacon
6 large eggs
Coarse salt and ground pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter 6 standard muffin cups. With a rolling pin, flatten bread slices slightly and, with a 4 1/2 inch cookie cutter, cut into 8 rounds. Cut each round in half, then press 2 halves into each muffin cup, overlapping slightly and making sure bread come up to edge of cup. Use extra bread to patch any gaps. Brush bread with remaining butter.

In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium, until almost crisp, 4 minutes, flipping once. (It will continue to cook in the oven). Lay 1 bacon slice in each bread cup and crack an egg over each. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until eggs are just set, 20 to 25 minutes. Run a small knife around cups to loosen toasts. Serve immediately.

Recipe Notes: Standard muffin pans come in a 6 or 12 cup size; if baking 6 items in a 12-cup pan, leave empty space in between. Nonstick pans are nice but not essential. Beware of very thin pans, which often lead to burning. Place pans on a baking sheet to make them easier to get in and out of the oven.

Source: Everyday Food, September 2010. You can find the recipe here.


Notes: I didn't use cookie cutters to cut the bread into rounds. I rolled the bread out with a rolling pin and sliced them in half diagonally. I also used larger muffin pans (jumbo size). However, the smaller/regular/standard size would have worked just great too.

I cooked my bacon in the oven (400 degrees for about 15 minutes, until it was partly cooked, but not crisp yet).


I thought this would be great since my younger son is allergic to eggs. He can eat them as long as they are cooked for at least 20 minutes at 350 degrees. After cooking for 25 minutes, the yolks were still  slightly runny...which tasted awesome to my husband and I, but I would have cooked it a little longer until the yolks were completely cooked for my son. As it was, my boys wouldn't eat them (picky, picky eaters!), so my husband and I did! If you decide to cook your eggs until the yolks are completely cooked, I would make sure that your bacon is less cooked than shown above so that it doesn't get overcooked or burned.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I would have cut them criss cross. These look like ears. :)

    ReplyDelete