Saturday, September 28, 2013

Good Use for Garden Tomatoes: Part 4


No basil in this recipe though (the last three posts used garden tomatoes and basil). This recipe uses fresh thyme instead. It's a nice way to change up your tomato pasta flavor. I did a little improvising on this recipe too. This recipe called for spaghetti. I used rotini--mostly because my boys have been getting rascally with spaghetti lately (wrapping it around their necks to make necklaces, etc.). So, I thought a more fun pasta shape would be a nice change for them. It was! They ate everything I gave them. Which is amazing, let me tell you. The recipe also called for cherry or grape tomatoes...but I had some home grown Roma tomatoes that I wanted to use up. So, I quartered those and used that instead. So, slightly different from the recipe as written, but still very delicious. Plus, as I mentioned before, my boys actually ate it! That scored major points for me.


Sauteed Tomato and Herb Pasta

Ingredients:

Salt and pepper
3/4 pound spaghetti
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 pints cherry tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1/2 cup shaved Parmesan (1 1/2 ounces)

Directions:

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package directions, then drain and return to pot.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, combine oil, tomatoes, garlic, and thyme over medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are soft and skins have burst, 12 to 15 minutes.

Add tomato mixture to pasta; toss to combine and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm. Top with Parmesan.

Source: Everyday Food, July/August 2013. You can find the recipe here.

Notes: As mentioned above, I used rotini instead of spaghetti, I used Roma tomatoes in place of the cherry tomatoes, and I grated my Parmesan instead of shaving it. This was so easy and so good! I love pasta!

1 comment: