Saturday, April 20, 2013

Worth Stealing



Well, since this has been a super cold spring, I have been craving soup, stew, and chili even though I thought soup season was over. I was looking through my cookbooks and I found this absolutely amazing and super easy recipe for chili. Holy cow, it was sooooo good. This is going to be a recipe staple for me from now on.

The funny thing for me is that every time I think of chili, I think of a silly story that my brothers like to tell. I totally don't believe it is true, but my brothers still maintain that it actually happened. You listen to this story, and you be the judge.

I had graduated from high school and had a bunch of my old high school friends over for a get-together. My brother decided to make himself some chili for lunch (just canned chili, but gussied up a bit with some yummy toppings). While my friends and I were busy, my brother stepped away from his chili, and he claims that when he returned to his bowl of chili that one of my friends (named Justin) was totally eating his chili.

Now, I just can't imagine my friend doing this...and yet, my brothers just won't give up on this story and still say that it is true--despite the fact that it happened over 10 years ago. The plot hole for me is that I can understand someone stealing a bowl of chili if it was THIS chili. However, why in the world would somebody sneak from a bowl of simple canned chili? Even with awesome toppings, it is still just canned chili!

At any rate, if you this cold spring continues, you should take advantage of it with a fantastic bowl of chili--whether stolen or rightfully earned!


Lighter Beef Chili

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 pound ground beef sirloin
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice
2 cans (15.5 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
Assorted toppings, such as reduced-fat sour cream, sliced scallions, and baked tortilla chips, for serving (optional)

Directions:

In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.

Add tomato paste, chili powder, and cocoa powder. Cook, stirring, until mixture is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add beef and cook, breaking up meat with a spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes.

Add tomatoes (with their juice) and beans. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce to a simmer, and cook until chili is slightly thickened, 10-15 minutes. Serve with toppings, as desired.

Serves 6

Per serving: 221 calories, 7 g fat, 20.7 g protein, 22.9 g carbohydrates, 5.5 g fiber.

Source: Everyday Food Light cookbook, ISBN 978-0307-71809-9. You can also find the recipe online here.

Notes: Don't listen to all the haters who made comments on the Martha Stewart website. A few people called this chili "bland." I have no idea what they are talking about. This chili is NOT bland. It is deep and flavorful. It isn't a super spicy chili. Maybe those people were hoping for a really spicy/hot chili. The cocoa powder adds a great depth to this chili. I loved it. Yum!

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how much chocolate adds to chili. I might want to try this one since it's not crock pot. Nice change.

    ReplyDelete