Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Portobello Bisque with Parmesan

 

I just made this soup on Sunday and we loved it. I'm not that great at following exact recipes. I modified it by putting only half the onion, and of course added more garlic due to my lovely husband. I also left out the tarragon and the splash of Sherry! Enjoy


Portobello Bisque with Parmesan

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter,
1 small onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, sliced
10 ounces portobello mushroom caps, roughly chopped
1/4 cup uncooked white long grain rice
5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup half-and-half
2 teaspoons of tarragon
1 tablespoon dry Sherry
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. When butter starts bubbling add the onion, garlic and saute for 3 min.

Add the mushrooms, rice, and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a gentle simmer and cook for 30 min, uncovered.

Remove from heat and add half-and-half.

Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. after pureeing, return soup to pot and heat to serving temperature. Season with salt and pepper.

Divide the soup between 2 bowls and garnish with tarragon, Parmesan cheese and splash of Sherry.

Source: Recipe taken from The everything cooking for Two cookbook. You can find it here.

6 comments:

  1. Hey ladies I took a picture but I decided not to post it cause it was a shame compared to everyone else's. :) Shandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shandie! Don't let our weird compulsiveness stop you from posting pictures. I'm excited to try this. It sounded yummy when you told me you were having it. I think I'll make it next Tuesday. Niel and I decided that we would have one night a week be soup and/or sandwich night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! This looks super tasty. I can't wait to try it! I'm so glad you finally posted on our blog! Whoohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Shandie! I am so excited you posted on the blog! The soup sounds very yummy! Clint loves mushrooms, so we will have to try it! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shandie, I tried this last night. It was really a good recipe. I was out of tarragon and didn't use it either. Besides that's kind of a strong flavor for me. But I did use the sherry and it was delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look what I finally tried! It only took me 5 1/2 years! Ha ha. This was delicious. I skipped the sherry and I added 1 tsp. of dried tarragon to the broth while it was boiling (rather than as a garnish). I sprinkled the top with Parmesan and some chopped parsley (for color and contrast). I loved this soup. It was so good. So much flavor. I didn't blend my soup until it was 100% smooth. I just blended it as you see here. There was still some texture to it as a result and the mushroom flavor was so, so good! Thanks, Shandie! I only wish I had gotten around to trying this sooner!

    ReplyDelete