Thursday, October 21, 2010

Everything's Nice With Rice


Rice is one of my favorite foods. We didn't have much money growing up and I remember times when my mom would make Minute rice and serve it with sugar, butter and milk. I loved it. I still eat it sometimes for breakfast.

Well, my taste buds have progressed a little since then. Here are three recipes that go nice with rice!

Hoisin-Honey-Glazed Pork with Grilled Pineapple



1/4 c. hoisin sauce
1 T. honey
1 T. grated fresh peeled ginger
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 whole pork tenderloin
pineapple spears
2 T. brown sugar

Prepare outdoor grill for covered direct grilling over medium heat. In small bowl combine hoisin, honey, ginger, and oil.

Place pork on hot grill rack. Cover grill and cook 18 - 20 minutes, turning occasionally.

Rub pineapple spears with brown sugar.

Grill pineapple 10 minutes or until browned on all sides, turning over. While pineapple is grilling, brush pork with hoisin-honey glaze and turn frequently until temperature on thermometer reaches 155 degrees F. Transfer pork to cutting board; let stand 10 minutes.

Thinly slice pork and serve with pineapple wedges; and, of course, a side of rice!





"Chinese Takeout" Lemon Chicken
This one uses a surprise ingredient to make a yummy sauce!


Frozen chicken nuggets Or
1T. oil, 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken tenders

1 pkg (6oz) snow peas or snap peas (about 2 cups)
1 small red pepper cut into strips
2 pkg. (4 serving size) Jell-O brand Lemon gelatin
2 T. cornstarch
1 c. chicken broth
4 T. Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing
4 cloves garlic, minced

If using fresh chicken tenders, heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook 4 minutes or until cooked through, stirring occasionally. If using chicken tenders at this point add snow peas and peppers; cook and stir 2 minutes. Continue to *

If using chicken nuggets, cook in oven as directed. Heat oil in skillet on medium high heat. Add snow peas and peppers; cook and stir 2 minutes. Continue to *

*Mix dry gelatin mix and cornstarch in small bowl. Add broth, dressing and garlic; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Add to skillet. Reduce heat to medium; cook 3 minutes or until sauce is thickened, stirring frequently. If using chicken nuggets, add them at this time.

Serve over hot cooked rice.


Halibut with Coconut-Red Curry Sauce
Surprisingly quick and easy!


2 t. canola oil, divided
4 (6 oz.) halibut fillets
1 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped green onions
1 T. grated peeled fresh ginger
1 c. light coconut milk
1 T. sugar
3/4 teaspoon red curry paste
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 T. fresh basil
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice

1. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish to pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Remove fish from pan; keep warm.

2. Add remaining 1 t. oil to pan. Add onion, green onions, and ginger; saute 2 minutes. Stir in coconut milk and the next 4 ingredients (through coriander). Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in basil and juice. Serve over rice.

This recipe is from Cooking Light, March 2009. I served it with the bok choy rice that was printed with the recipe, but I didn't like it because it overpowered the subtle curry flavor.

3 comments:

  1. I have tried both the pork tenderloin and the lemon chicken and they are both fantastic. I hate jell-o in it's gelatin form (food just shouldn't jiggle in your mouth!), but I'll tell you, I love it when it is used as an ingredient to flavor things. It works surprisingly well in a savory dish!

    Mom, I hope you don't mind that I enlarged the picture of the grilled pork tenderloin (I wanted the details of that lovely picture to show up better). I also added a picture that I took of the lemon chicken.

    As for the final recipe, it really looks yummy. I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on the photos! I am impressed. They all look pretty tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cropped the photo of the pork and pineapple to cut out the Chinette logo on the plate! I think it looks much better that way. Now, my only regret with that picture is that there is one little piece of pork that has an uneven flap of meat from when it was cut. I should have noticed that before I took the picture. Oh well. It didn't affect the way it tasted in any way. Yum!

    ReplyDelete