Saturday, December 5, 2020

White Chocolate Cherry Christmas Cookies

 

 

The first time I tried these cookies, it was at a cookie plate exchange over five years ago. Everyone brought some cookies and we made cookie plates to give out to others (or to keep for our own families). We also encouraged people to share their recipes as well. Some remembered to do that, and others didn't.

I tried these fantastic cookies and instantly fell in love...but I didn't know who brought these cookies, and they didn't share a recipe either. Cue the internet! Google to the rescue! I knew I couldn't live the rest of my life without eating these cookies again, so after a quick Google search, I found multiple instances where the recipe (almost identical in each case) was found. I will share all of the sources I found below. If you combine all of the names for this cookie, you could call it a White Chocolate Dipped Cherry Shortbread Cookies, but that is kind of a mouthful. I used the recipe from Taste of Home, which was submitted by Ruth Anne Dale of Titusville, Pennsylvania.

I hope you love them as much as I do.

 


Dipped Cherry Cookies

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar, divided
3/4 cup sugar, divided
1 cup cold butter, cubed
1/2 cup finely chopped maraschino cherries, patted dry
12 ounces white baking chocolate, finely chopped, divided
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (use artificial almond extract to make it tree-nut free)
2 teaspoons shortening
Coarse red sugar, red edible glitter, red and/or white nonpareils, and/or red and/or white sprinkles (I used coarse red sugar this time)

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine flour and 1/2 cup sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Knead in the cherries, 2/3 cup white chocolate, and extract until dough forms a ball.

Shape into 3/4-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten slightly with a glass dipped in remaining sugar. Bake at 325 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.

In a microwave, melt shortening and remaining white chocolate; stir until smooth.

Dip half of each cookie into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; sprinkle with coarse red sugar or edible glitter. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container.

Sources: Taste of Home, you can find it here. Better Homes and Gardens, posted twice, here and here. Also found on Mel's Kitchen Cafe here. You could probably also find other sources on Pinterest.


No comments:

Post a Comment