Friday, September 19, 2014

More Spuds, Part 1


I can never get enough potatoes. I love all the forms they come in. I love potato salad. I really do. I can't get enough of it. I love to try new kinds (though I do have a favorite, which I originally shared here, but I will share again below--Mr. Wendel's Potato Salad). The other potato salad is pretty tasty too though!

Oh, and you may ask, "Why is this blog post called 'More Spuds'? Where is the first spuds post?" My answer to you would be to just check out our "Potatoes" label to see how many recipes with spuds we have already posted! Check it out.


Bacon and Eggs Potato Salad

Ingredients:

2 1/2 pounds red potatoes, quartered
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup petite green peas
6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
4 slices cooked bacon, chopped
1/4 cup minced onion
2 tablespoons mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions:

Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.

Once potatoes have cooled, mix potatoes, mayonnaise, peas, hard-boiled eggs, bacon, onion, mustard, salt, and black pepper together in a bowl. refrigerate to allow flavors to blend and bacon to soften, about 1 hour.

Source: Allrecipes.com, submitted by soupy. You can find it here.

Notes: I think the title is misleading. It almost makes you think this will be some kind of breakfast potato salad. It isn't. I love the addition of the peas. It adds such a great taste and added texture. The bacon, of course, is to die for here. I would probably add more bacon in the future.




Mr. Wendel's Potato Salad

Ingredients:

7 lbs. potatoes
1 jar Best Foods Mayonnaise (regular size--larger jar)
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp prepared yellow mustard
1 1/2 tbsp dry mustard
1/ tsp (heaping) pepper
2 tsp salt
3-4 medium dill pickles, diced
1 medium onion, chopped very fine
Large handful of fresh parsley, minced
12 eggs, hard boiled, peeled, and quartered

Directions:

Boil potatoes in a large pot of salted water with the skins on. The skins will peel off easily after they have cooked (so you can save yourself the step of having to peel the potatoes prior to cooking them).

Slice the potatoes lengthwise only (they break up further when you stir all of the ingredients together). Then stir in mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, prepared mustard, dry mustard, pepper, salt, diced dill pickles, chopped onion, and minced parsley. Mix well.

Once everything else is mixed, stir in the eggs (adding them too early will break them apart too much). Chill until ready to serve.

Source: I had the most awesome choir teacher (Mr. Norman Wendel, as evidenced by the title of this recipe) when I was in high school. For one of our parties, we had a potluck and Mr. Wendel brought this fantastic potato salad. I craved this potato salad for years afterward and begged for the recipe. The problem was that he was one of those cooks who creates a recipe in their mind, but never writes it down. Luckily for me, his daughter (who I am friends with) finally pinned him down and watched him make it while she wrote down the methods, measurements, and equivalents for this recipe. She then shared this recipe with me. Yum! I'm sooooo grateful!

Notes: This is definitely a savory potato salad with some bite to it. I love the addition of dill pickles and hard boiled eggs. If you like a wussy, bland, or sweet tasting potato salad, this one isn't for you. Coincidentally, this potato salad is very similar to the potato salad that my in-laws have been making for years too (a recipe that THEY made up too. Though I'm not sure if they wrote theirs down or not). Destiny or coincidence? You decide!

Also, the picture I took doesn't do it justice.  This is a fantastic potato salad.  When catering to picky eaters, here is what I do: I make the whole batch, but I divide it into two bowls.  One bowl is made with pickles and eggs, the other bowl is made without the two "offending" ingredients.  All of the other ingredients stay the same for both bowls.

1 comment:

  1. Summertime doesn't always have to mean the end of potato salad and these are two really good ones!

    ReplyDelete