Saturday, August 2, 2014

From the Ocean


I was craving a good shrimp scampi, and this did the trick! I will type the recipe as originally written, and then type it again with my changes (since I made quite a few).


Shrimp Scampi

Ingredients:

3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
Hot cooked angel hair pasta

Directions:

In a 10-inch ovenproof skillet, saute garlic in butter and oil until fragrant. Add the shrimp, lemon juice, pepper and oreagano; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink. Sprinkle with cheese, bread crumbs and parsley.

Broil 6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve with pasta.

Yield: 4 servings.

Nutrition information: 1 cup equals 395 calories, 30 g fat, 177 mg cholesterol, 420 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein.

Source: Taste of Home. You can find it here. It is currently rated 5 stars, and with good reason!


Shrimp Scampi (with my changes)

Ingredients:

2-3 tsp. bottled minced garlic
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup olive oil
2 pounds frozen cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, thawed
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional for serving, if desired
Dry Italian bread crumbs
Minced fresh parsley
1 lb. hot cooked angel hair pasta (reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid)

Directions:

Prepare the shrimp by pulling off the tails, if desired.

In a large skillet, saute garlic in butter and oil until fragrant. Add the shrimp, lemon juice, pepper, and oregano. Cook until heated through.

Add angel hair pasta and toss to coat. Add a little of the reserved cooking liquid from the pasta if the pasta is a little dry and needs more sauce.

Sprinkle each serving with desired amount of Italian bread crumbs, minced parsley, and additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.

Notes: I bought cooked shrimp on accident. It did speed up the process considerably. I also pulled the tails off of all of the shrimp.

I used bottled minced garlic simply because it was easier. I increased the amount of lemon juice because I like things lemony. I added salt. I also used Italian bread crumbs instead of plain--just for extra flavor.

Using a pasta spoon, I spooned the pasta right from the pot it cooked in to the lemon butter shrimp sauce.

I also didn't want to make the pasta too dry, so I thought it would be better to sprinkle each serving of pasta with breadcrumbs.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, will your kids eat this? Love me some scampi, but I'd be surprised if your kids do. Easy dish to make, right?

    ReplyDelete