Sunday, May 25, 2014

Another Chinese Chicken Recipe


This one sounds a lot like the very last recipe that we posted (Lemon Chicken), but it is totally different in flavor. I loved this! I'm thinking that Chinese chicken over rice is one of my new go-to dinner staples.


Sweet, Sticky, and Spicy Chicken

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger root
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
2 tablespoons hot sauce (I opted to use 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes instead)
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2 inch strips (and dredged in 1/4 cup flour seasoned with salt and pepper, see notes)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Directions:

Mix together brown sugar, honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and hot sauce in a small bowl.

Lightly salt and pepper the chicken strips.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken strips and brown on both sides, about 1 minute per side. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Simmer uncovered until the sauce thickens, 8 to 10 minutes.

Source: Allrecipes.com, submitted by kate. You can find it here.

Notes: I doubled the sauce. You know me. I like things saucy. I also took a note from the last recipe (Lemon Chicken) and decided to coat the chicken in flour to give it a nice browned and breaded texture (as well as to help thicken the sauce).

3 comments:

  1. Oh, and I need to add this to the notes in the recipe above, but you could add 1-2 tablespoons of frozen orange juice concentrate to this and turn it into a lovely Orange Chicken recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was it a little heavy on the soy flavor? Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't feel like it was too heavy on the soy sauce. The soy sauce was balanced by the ginger, garlic, honey, and brown sugar. I thought this was definitely comparable to a dish that you could be served in an actual Chinese restaurant. I really liked this. Good stuff. Also, very pantry friendly and super easy to throw together.

    ReplyDelete