Saturday, January 25, 2014

Living it Up


Well, ever since we found out that my son has outgrown his almond allergy, and his allergist asked that we reintroduce almonds into his diet, I have been doing it quite happily! Just following doctor's orders! Almonds are one of my favorite things ever. Oh, how I missed them. This pasta was so good. This is a great, filling, and satisfying meat-free dinner.



Linguine with Toasted Almonds, Lemon, and Parsley

Ingredients:

8 ounces whole-wheat linguine
Kosher salt
1 cup raw almonds, toasted and chopped
1 cup parsley leaves, chopped
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons almond oil or extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup pecorino Romano (1/2 ounce) grated, for serving

Directions:

Cook pasta in generously salted water until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta water. Toss pasta with remaining ingredients. Adjust consistency with reserved pasta water as desired. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with grated cheese.

Source: Martha Stewart Whole Living, January/February 2011. You can find it here. I actually found it in the new Meatless cookbook, which you can find information about here.

Notes: I used a whole pound of pasta, and I didn't use whole-wheat pasta either. Just regular pasta. I also didn't have any almond oil, so I used olive oil. Since I increased the amount of pasta used, I also increased the amount of lemon zest and juice that I used. However, I didn't increase any of the other ingredients. I would suggest adding the lemon, salt and pepper, and grated cheese to your taste. I also used Parmesan cheese, because that is what I had on hand.

The cookbook I found this in described this recipe as a deconstructed pesto. I really, really liked it. The lemon/almond combination was so satisfying and delicious. Good stuff!

1 comment:

  1. This does look yummy. I had never thought of using nuts with pasta, but the texture contrast would be nice. I'll bet it worked well.

    ReplyDelete