Saturday, January 12, 2013

Turkey Leftovers


Well, after all of the holiday eating, my husband and I decided we could use more soup in our lives. We made a turkey for Christmas, and I had a ton leftover, so I made my own turkey noodle soup. It turned out great. The recipe is below!




Turkey Noodle Soup

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
1 medium onion, diced
1-2 garlic cloves (or 1-2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic)
2 stalks of celery, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
4 cans (or between 7 and 8 cups) chicken broth
2-3 cups uncooked egg noodles
2 cups diced cooked turkey or chicken
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook about 2-3 minutes, or until it starts to get soft. Add garlic. Cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add celery and carrot and cook  for about 5 minutes.

Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add egg noodles and cook according to package directions for al dente (about 5 minutes). Reduce heat to low and add turkey, and salt and pepper to taste.

Source: I made this recipe up using what I had on hand. I wondered if I should add some herbs, spices, or seasoning salt and I decided that I would wait until the soup was finished and taste it to see if it needed anything else. I thought it was great just the way it was, so I didn't add anything extra. However, you easily could add your favorite herbs, spices, or seasonings.

As for the noodles, I used 3 cups of uncooked egg noodles. I would start with 2 cups and see if that looks like enough noodles to you. If not, add another cup!

2 comments:

  1. I've never had my soup turn out. But this looks pretty good. Remind me to try it next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love making turkey soup with leftovers. The best is to save the carcass and boil it the next day to make your own broth. then you shredd the remaining meat and make soup. Super thrifty and delicious

    ReplyDelete