Saturday, January 12, 2013

Thanks To My Sister!



I never liked condensed tomato soup. Blech. Then one day, my sister doctored some up using nothing but her knowledge of cooking and her imagination and a whole new beautiful culinary world was opened up to me. Before that, it had never occurred to me that I could actually make anything without following a recipe!

This is one of those recipes that we have been making for ages and I was surprised that we had never added it to the blog before.

This recipe takes canned tomato soup to the next level. Trust me, you are going to love it!

Italian Tomato Soup with Parmesan

Ingredients:

2 cans condensed tomato soup
2 cans of water (to dilute soup)
1-1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/4-1/2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
Fresh diced tomato, optional
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Whisk tomato soup and water together over medium heat until smooth. Add oregano, salt, and pepper and simmer until heated through. Stir in 1/4 cup of the shredded Parmesan cheese. Add fresh diced tomato, if using.

Top each serving of soup with the remaining Parmesan cheese and serve with your favorite grilled cheese sandwiches.

Source: My beautiful sister, Laurie.

Notes: I like the kick of pepper and I prefer my soup a little on the spicy side, but you can season this soup according to your own taste. Start with the smaller measurements and go from there. I used 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.

2 comments:

  1. That Laurie is always the artist.

    Still not a fan of any kind of tomato soup really, except for the roasted tomato soup on our blog....also by Laurie. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! I'm so glad I inspired you. Cambells has a tomato bisque concentrate soup that is a few steps closer to being good than the regular soup. Same price! So try it! A little less doctoring required. I also like adding chunks of tomatoes and some fresh basil.

    ReplyDelete