Monday, February 28, 2011

Hospital Food

Well, both my sister and I did it! We had our babies. And both of us had our babies on our actual due dates (no inductions...we went into labor on our own)! What are the chances of that, eh?

Oh, and I have to say that labor is A LOT easier the second time around! Thank goodness!

There are a lot of things that I don't like about staying in a hospital. One of those things is the food. I didn't have anything bad, mind you, but it's definitely not great food. But I will say this, hospitals have the best ice for chewing in the whole wide world. They also have a sweet little drink that I like to call a "Hospital Cocktail."

The nurses gave me a "Hospital Cocktail" after I finished my labor to help get my blood sugar level back up. It is a yummy mix of fruit juice and lemon-lime soda. I tried to guess the ingredients on my own (and almost got it right), but I eventually just asked one of the nurses what the drink consisted of.

Now, I don't want you to have to go to the hospital to have this yummy drink, so I'll share it with you right here!

Oh, and as a bonus, I'm sharing a recipe for chocolate bran muffins. Any of you out there who have ever been pregnant know that (and I apologize if this is too much information) you get a little backed up after labor and anything to help you get regular again is a welcome thing. These bran muffins are just the ticket. Honestly, they work better than laxatives. Again, sorry if it's TMI!


Hospital Cocktail

Ingredients:

Sprite, 7-Up, or other lemon-lime flavored soda
Cran-Raspberry Juice
Orange Juice
Apple Juice

Directions:

Mix equal parts of all ingredients to make desired quantity. Serve over crushed ice.


Chocolate Bran Muffins

Ingredients:

3 cups of All Bran cereal
2 1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla (or other flavoring)
1 pkg Krusteaz fat free brownie mix

Directions:

Soak All Bran in water for 10 minutes (until most, but not all of the water is absorbed). Stir in remaining ingredients. Bake at 350 degrees for 22-25 minutes.

Makes 24 muffins. 1 WW point each.

Source: I got this recipe from my mom. I think she got it at a WW meeting.

Notes: You can experiment with the flavorings/extracts. Almond, coconut, orange, etc. are all fun. Also, I used Fiber One cereal because I couldn't find All Bran. It worked pretty well, but it required a little more water. I would say to add about 1/2 cup more water (but not more than that, otherwise they will be too gooey). Also, I couldn't find the Krusteaz fat free brownie mix at my grocery store, so I used a Betty Crocker Low Fat brownie mix instead. It worked great.

 

3 comments:

  1. You crack me up! I didn't get any such drink. I feel gypped

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only you would have asked for the recipe. Oh, and back in my day, we didn't get any cool cocktails either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a low cal version and for those who don't mind artificial sweeteners, there are light versions of apple juice, cran-raspberry and Sprite Zero.

    ReplyDelete