Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Aloha!

Sometimes you just want to make something quick and easy. I stumbled upon this recipe from http://www.delish.com/ while surfing the web and the name intrigued me. This was an instant hit! The mix of flavors was incredibly wonderful and unusual and it couldn't be quicker or easier. The vanilla gave it a sweetness that mixed well with the salty ham and Swiss. Add some chips and canned baked beans and this would make a satisfying meal after a long work day or shopping-filled Saturday.


Hawaii Five-Oh

Ingredients:

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 peeled and cored pineapple (found in the refrigerated produce section, cut into 5 thick slices)
5 onion rolls
5 slices Swiss cheese (enough to cover the bottom half of each bun)
5 slices thick ham (or 10 thin ones)
1 c. spinach leaves (which I forgot!)
Dijon mustard (I used honey mustard for my honey lovin' husband)

Directions:

Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, chili powder, and vanilla extract in the plastic container that the pineapple came in. Put the sliced pineapple back in teh container, pop on the lid, and swirl it around to coat the pineapple in the seasonings. Let the flavors soak while you preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Arrange the pineapple slices on the greased baking sheet. Roast them for 10-12 minutes on each side, using tongs to flip them, until golden brown. During the lst 5 minutes of roasting, heat up the buns in the oven. Put the ham and Swiss on the bottom halves of the buns so the meat heats up and the cheese melts. Then turn off the oven and use oven mitts to remove the pineapple and the buns.

Build the sandwiches: Top each ham-and-cheese bottom bun with a slice of pineapple, then a handful of spinach. Spread the mustard on the top half of each bun. Stack. Munch.

Notes: Okay, these directions are written directly from the recipe and they sound a little Mickey Mouse to me. Like you don't know to use mitts to take them from the oven, but whatever. And, since one daughter has had her baby last week and the other is due any day, you will have to rely on my less than great pictures taken from my cell phone because I can't work a digital camera. But trust me, the picture does not do it justice. I think this will become a new favorite for a quick and easy dinner. Oh, I said that already, didn't it? Well, trust me. :)

1 comment:

  1. Way to carry the torch! Thanks for posting this while Laurie and I are unavailable! This looks yummy. Good old-fashioned comfort food. I love ham!

    ReplyDelete