Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Pickle Pie?

 

My mom found this recipe and it just sounded way too intriguing not to try. People sounded horrified by the name, but those who tried it responded with, "I don't hate it," "It's not horrible," and "I actually kind of like it." Ha ha!

Serving it with a dollop of whipped cream is a must. Though whether you decide to make the "pickle cream" or regular whipped cream is up to you. It tastes somewhat similar to pumpkin pie. In fact, my son kept asking for another piece of pumpkin pie throughout the week and every time I said, "Do you mean pickle pie?," he would get mad at me, so I just started calling it pumpkin pie to him. Shhh. It's our little secret.

Utah Pickle Pie

Ingredients:

1/2 package refrigerated rolled pie dough (such as Pillsbury Pie Crusts), or frozen pie crust
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
5 large eggs
1 cup half-and-half
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest (from one lemon)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup sweet pickle chips, plus more, for garnish
1 1/2 cups whipped cream

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Form pie dough into a 9-inch pie plate, and crimp the edges.

Whisk together sugar and 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch in a large bowl. Add eggs and half-and-half, and beat with an electric mixer until combined. Add butter, zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg; beat until well combined.

Process pickles in a food processor until finely chopped, reserving 1 tablespoon for topping. Stir pickles and remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch together until lightly coated; stir into filling. Pour filling into unbaked pie shell.

Bake in preheated oven until lightly golden brown and filling is just set, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack until room temperature, about an hour. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving, so it is well chilled.

Stir together whipped cream and reserved 1 tablespoon chopped pickled in a medium bowl. Top each slice with pickle cream; garnish with a pickle chip, if desired.

Source: My Recipes. You can find it here.

Notes: I used a frozen pie crust and just filled it with the filling and baked it from frozen. It worked great. I also did not make the pickle cream. I just used a can of ready made whipped cream for the top. I also didn't top it with another pickle chip. It was plenty pickle flavored without those extra added touches. It was a unique flavor, but I liked it! It grew on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment