Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Don't Knock It 'Til You've Tried It

 

I asked my husband what he wanted me to make for dinner. He said that when he was a kid, he and his brother used to make Spam burgers. It turns out that we used to have Spam burgers in my family when I was younger too. So, that got us both in the mood and we decided it was high time we had Spam burgers for dinner.

My oldest son refused to touch them, but his brother took quite a liking to them. They really are so easy to make. You just slice the Spam right in the container and then brown it on both sides. Then you serve it on a bun with your favorite hamburger toppings. My husband used to eat them on a bun simply with mayo. I like it with all the fixings: lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mustard, you name it.

You can get three thick Spam burgers per container, or four thinner Spam burgers per container. The thinner slices are great for kids. My husband and I preferred the thicker slices. You may have mixed feelings about Spam. Maybe it makes you think of Hawaii. Maybe you wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Either way, these really are super tasty and beyond easy to make. I suggest you give them a try...and that you don't knock it 'til you've tried it!


Spam Burgers

Ingredients:

Hamburger buns
Spam
Lettuce
Tomato
Dill pickle slices
Sliced cheddar cheese
Ketchup
Mayonnaise

Directions:

Slice Spam into three or four slices while still in the container. Slide Spam out of the container and brown in a large skillet on both sides until nicely browned and heated through.

Serve on a hamburger bun with toppings of choice.

Source: My bet is that my mom found this on a Spam container or in a mailer sometime in the nineties.

Notes: Again, if you like to keep things simple, all you need is Spam, a bun, and some mayo. Otherwise, the sky is the limit!


Above: Just slice the Spam lengthwise right in the can. It's easiest to get uniform slices that way.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I think this was a newspaper insert. I still think a lot of recipes developed by products are good.

    ReplyDelete