Sunday, November 10, 2013

Nah, Try Just One

I have made these bars twice now.  Be forewarned that they are very, very rich.  Megan said that they tasted like hot fudge in a cookie form.  I really appreciate when I find a good and easy cookie bar recipe.  They are so easy for all of those pot luck functions or when you are asked to bring a treat somewhere.  This would work as a good pantry recipe, too, for impromptu treats to take to a sick neighbor, work sharing, etc.  Oh, you will find a lot of uses for this one.


CAN'T LEAVE ALONE BARS

1 package white cake mix (regular size)
2 eggs
1/3 cup canola oil
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup (6 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter, cubed

In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, and oil.  Press two-thirds of the mixture into a greased 13x9 in baking pan.  Set remaining cake mixture aside.

In a microwave safe bowl, combine the milk, chocolate chips and butter.  Microwave, uncovered, until chips and butter are melted; stir until smooth.  Pour over crust.

Drop teaspoonfuls of remaining cake mixture over the top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool before cutting.  Yield: 3 dozen.

Source:  I found this in a couple of places, but printed it up from Taste of Home. You can find it here.

Cook's notes:  I think I made this once with milk chocolate and it was a little too sweet.  I know, I know that sounds almost impossible.  But try it with the semisweet.  I think you'll like it.

1 comment:

  1. These were very tasty, but you are right, they are very, very rich. Great idea for a dessert buffet. You could cut these into pretty small pieces and put them into muffin liners or even smaller candy liners to serve. A little goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete