Monday, June 18, 2012

Pink and Green Bridal Shower

My brother got married just last week and we had the opportunity to throw a shower for his beautiful bride.  Her colors were pink and green, so we decided to use that theme for her shower as well.  I just thought I would share some pictures of how it turned out.  We kept things basic, but pretty.  If you want elaborate party throwing, there are a number of amazing blogs out there dedicated to the art of parties (or just go to Pinterest.com for a plethora of party inspirations).  But it turned out well and everything was very yummy.

I'll have to include a few recipes later (I'll need to get them from my Mom), but for now, enjoy the pictures!


Above: Strawberry cake balls.  I have a cake ball pan, so I simply baked strawberry cake mix into the cake ball mold.  When the cake balls were completely cooled, I coated them in white vanilla candy coating that I dyed pink with food coloring.  I dyed some of the candy coating a darker shade of pink to decorate the top of the cake balls.  I had wanted to use cute pink sprinkles, but both of the grocery stores near me didn't really have any pink sprinkles!  And I didn't have time to go to a specialty store, so I improvised.  It worked alright, except that the candy coating stripes would sometimes break free.  Oh well.  If you don't have a cake ball pan, you can make the cake balls the good old-fashioned, messy way.  Bake a cake in a 9x13 inch pan. Let cool completely.  Crumble into a bowl.  Stir in a tub of frosting (the flavor is your choice...you could do strawberry cake and strawberry frosting, or white cake and white frosting...the sky's the limit).  Mix until the frosting is well incorporated.  Then form into cake balls.  Place on a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet and place in refrigerator or freezer until set.  Then coat with vanilla or chocolate candy coating.


Above: Nutritious green veggies, refreshing pink fruits, and yummy pink sweets!


Above: Dijon Chicken Salad served in croissant rolls.  It is a yummy chicken salad recipe with grapes and dried apricots served on croissant rolls.  Delicious!

Dijon Chicken Salad

Ingredients:

4 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup seedless green grapes, halved
1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
1/4 cup sliced green onions
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Lettuce leaves, optional
1/2 cup sliced almonds, optional

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients.  In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, honey, mustard, salt, and pepper.  Pour into chicken mixture; toss to coat.  Cover and refrigerate until time to serve.  Serve on a lettuce-line plate.  Sprinkle with almonds.  Yield: 6 servings.

Nutrition information: 1 serving (1 1/4 cups) equals 504 calories, 33 g fat, 93 mg cholesterol, 513 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 30 g protein.

Source: Taste of Home 2011.

Notes: Goodness, this was good.  It was fantastic served in the croissant rolls and would be yummy in any kind of roll or with regular bread as a sandwich filling.


Above: Green veggies with dip.



Above: Cake mix cookies, recipe found here.


Yummy stuff!  And very pretty to look at too!

4 comments:

  1. I should have gotten different containers for the pink circus cookies and the green zoo cookies. But the shower food was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pink, white, and green cookies still looked cute. Don't forget to give me the chicken salad recipe so that I can add it to this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures turned out great! Everything was very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added the chicken salad recipe to this post! Yummy stuff!

    ReplyDelete