Friday, September 3, 2010

The Penne is Mightier than the Sword



I think if I could, I would eat pasta almost every night...minimum at least once a week. My favorite is probably spaghetti, but I love all kinds of pasta...including, of course, penne.

Oh, and I must apologize that we have done such a lousy job of posting on this blog lately. My sister and I are both pregnant (just out of the first trimester now) and food DID NOT sound good to either of us during that time. As for my mom (who also posts on this blog), she has no excuse!

The first recipe (pictured above) is a pasta favorite that my mom found. It is my youngest sister's absolute favorite pasta. It is also a quick and easy weeknight recipe. Plus, each serving is only 7 Weight Watcher's Points.

The second recipe is one of my pasta favorites that I found last year. It is a Martha Stewart Everyday Food recipe.

I just think pasta hits the spot. Pair these recipes with a nice side salad and some crusty garlic bread or breadsticks and you're set!

Penne with Sausage and Roasted Pepper Sauce

Ingredients:

2 cups uncooked penne or other tubed-shaped pasta
6 ounces 50% less fat pork sausage (such as Jimmy Dean)
1 1/4 cups bottled spaghetti sauce (such as Classico with mushrooms and ripe olives...see note below)
1/2 cup diced bottled roasted red bell peppers
3/4 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well.

While pasta cooks, cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until brown; stir to crumble. Drain sausage.

Add spaghetti sauce and bell peppers to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until slightly thick. Remove from heat; stir in sugar and salt. Cover and let stand 3 minutes. Serve over pasta. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup pasta and 1/2 cup sauce)

Nutrition information: 329 calories, 45.5 g carbohydrates, 9.5 g fat, 3.1 g fiber, 15 g protein, 30 mg cholesterol, 694 mg sodium, 62 mg calcium, 3.1 mg iron.

Notes: I believe that my mom usually uses Prego pasta sauce (just the basic sauce with no vegetables added in). The sweetness of the Prego sauce pairs nicely with the sausage and peppers. Also, as with many pasta dishes, this one is freezer friendly. Freeze the pasta sauce separately (don't forget to label the contents and date them!). When you are ready to use it, simply defrost it overnight in the fridge and reheat in the microwave or over the stove top. New note: My mom identified the Prego pasta sauce in her comments. She uses Prego's Three Cheese pasta sauce. Also, if you keep some frozen sausage around in your freezer, this makes a great pantry recipe. You can have everything on hand and ready to go if you need a dinner idea to throw together quickly!




Tomato and Olive Penne


The cherry tomatoes cook just long enough to bring out their juice, which blends with the garlic-flavored olive oil to make one of the best-tasting pasta sauces. If you're cooking for children who don't like black olives, toss the olives in for the adults after you've served the kids.

If you pit your own olives, the easiest way is to lay a wide chef's knife over it and smack the blade with your fist or the palm of your hand. The olive should split open, and the pit will pop right out.

Ingredients:

Salt and pepper
1 pound penne, or other short pasta
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2/3 pound (2 cups) cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving

Directions:

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook penne according to package instructions until al dente, about 13 minutes. Drain.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook, stirring, until just golden, about 1 minute. Add cherry tomatoes, oregano, crushed red pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring, until tomato juices run, about 3 minutes.

Add penne, olives, parsley, and 1/4 cup Parmesan to the skillet and toss to combine. Serve with more cheese if desired.

Notes: I add more olives than the recipe calls for (really, is 1/4 cup enough? Not for me!). In addition to that, I ALWAYS buy pitted olives. They cost a little more, but to me, the extra cost is worth it because it saves me a lot of time. Also, I add salt and pepper to taste. I end up adding a little more than the recipe calls for. But this is a tasty and super easy meal. Yum!

3 comments:

  1. I had an excuse. I was helping getting a wedding on the road! The sauce I use is Prego's Three Cheese sauce because Emily loves it. It's a quick and easy standby and a way to dress up regular pasta. The sausage is more flavorful than hamburger and the red peppers give it a nice texture. I made it when I was in Texas with Nephi's Emeril's giant garlic clove sauce and didn't like it much.

    Your recipe looks yummy. I'll make it when Niel's gone so I can put the olives in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the long lost food blog! I am glad its back up and running! I know I have gotten more then a few dinner ideas from it. I will get back to posting. I have a few good recipes but no pics, but I'll post them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the penne with sausage and roasted red pepper sauce last night. I always like pasta, but even Kevin commented on the sauce being really, really good. I used the six cheese Publix brand sauce(that's our grocery store), and I thought it was very flavorful, especially with the sausage. Yum!

    ReplyDelete