Monday, July 12, 2010

I love Bread & Butter!

I love to make bread! It is probably my favorite thing to make. And my husband loves it too! When we were dating, I baked him a loaf of bread and he said, "Homemade bread is a very good way to say I love you!" So there you go!


Rich Dinner Rolls
These are a family holiday recipe. They were always my favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner, so we make them quite often for Sunday meals. We had the missionaries over for dinner once and one of the missionaries ate like six rolls! Sad for me because there were no leftovers!

1 pkg. yeast
1/4 c. warm (not hot) water
1 c. milk, scalded
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. margarine (not butter)
1 tsp. salt
3 1/2 c. flour
1 egg

Soften yeast in warm water. Combine milk, sugar, margarine and salt. heat to melt margarine, then cool to lukeward. Add 1/2 the flour, beat well. Beat in yeast and egg. Gradually add remaining flour. Let rise until doubled (1 1/2 - 2 hours). turn out and shape as desired. (For crescents, divide dough in half. Roll each into a circle. Spread a think layer of softened butter over. Use pizza cutter to cut into 8 equal pie shapes. Roll up into cresents. Place on ungreased pan.) Cover w/waxed paper and towel. Rise until doubled (30 - 45 min). Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes.
Quick Yeast Rolls
I think these are my husbands very favorite rolls. I love to make them when I don't have time to make other rolls. They are really easy and fast! You don't even have to knead or shape or punch down the dough, so for beginners this recipe is a must try!

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons shortening
  • 3 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 cup hot water
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease 8 muffin cups.
  2. In a large bowl, mix the shortening, sugar, and hot water. Allow to cool until lukewarm, and mix in the yeast until dissolved. Mix in the egg, salt, and flour. Allow the dough to rise until doubled in size.
  3. Divide the dough into the prepared muffin cups, and allow to rise again until doubled in size.
  4. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Source: allrecipes.com
Brown Soda BreadI made this bread for St. Patty's day, and now it has become a staple. It is super easy. No yeast required! But really hearty and also very healthy too. It has a very nice rich flavor to it. Try it!
Ingredients

  • Cooking spray
  • 11.25 ounces whole-wheat flour (about 2 1/2 cups)
  • 2.25 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 cup steel-cut oats (such as McCann's)
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon wheat germ
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 325°.
2. Coat a 9 x 5–inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Line the pan with parchment paper, and coat with cooking spray.
3. Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flours and next 6 ingredients (through salt). Combine buttermilk and egg; add to flour mixture. Stir just until combined.
4. Spoon the mixture into prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Invert bread onto a wire rack; cool completely. Remove parchment; slice bread into 12 slices.
Source: Cooking Light Magazine March 2010


Above: I finally made my sister's Quick Yeast Rolls...so, I thought I would share my picture. I ended up with 12 good-sized rolls. They were soooo good. Might I suggest cutting them in half and spreading a little butter and jam on them? Or, just eat them as is. These were really yummy...and very, very easy!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Mmmm. I love bread and butter too. It just hits the spot, ya know? Especially when it is homemade. The rich dinner rolls are fantastic. As for the others, I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, my daughter, have easily lapped me in bread making talent. Your rich dinner rolls look much nicer than mine. I was never very good with yeast.

    But at last I have found my niche. Lion House Frozen Rolls at Deseret Book. $5 a dozen is a bit pricey, but they are the nicest rolls I've "made." ....althtough the last bunch didn't turn out as well as the first....

    Bake on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laurie, I made these quick yeast rolls for the first time last night. We put a little butter and jam on them. They were soooooo good, and really easy to make. I ended up with about 12 rolls (rather than the 8 the recipe originally mentions). They were so good that I had two more for breakfast this morning. Yummy! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete